- One 5-pound chicken or bone-in chicken parts, white and dark meat
- 15 cups water, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 8 ounces carrots
- 1 extra-large onion (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1 large turnip (8 ounces)
- 3 ribs celery with leaves
- 1 large parsnip (6 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons concentrated
- chicken soup base or granulated chicken bouillon
- 1 recipe Mini Matzoh Balls
Makes about 3 quarts
(about 6 light-meal servings; one serving is 2 cups stock and 5 or 6 mini matzoh balls)
- Place the chicken in a large soup pot, pour the water over top, add the salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Skin off any foam that grows to the surface.
- Meanwhile, peel the onion and cut into 8 pieces. Peel the carrots, turnip, and parsnip, and cut into 1-inch chunks. Cut the celery into 1-inch chunks. Add the vegetables to the pot along with the chicken soup base. Bring the pot back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, adding a little more water if needed to keep the ingredients covered at all times. Check the stock occasionally and skim off any fat that rises to the top.
- While the stock simmers, make the Mini Matzoh Balls.
- Strain the stock through a big sieve into a heatproof bowl. You should have about 12 cups; if not, add a little more boiling water to make 12 cups. Discard the chicken meat, bones, and vegetables, since all the flavors are now in the stock. Return the strained stock to the soup pot and bring back to a simmer. Add the cooked matzoh balls and heat through.
- To serve, place 5 or 6 mini matzoh balls in each soup bowl and ladle over the steaming stock. Let any leftover stock or soup cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, tightly covered, and use within 2 days. The stock (without the matzoh balls) may be frozen for up to 2 months. Defrost the stock, then prepare the matzoh balls and add to the hot stock as directed in step 4.
Homemade Chicken Soup
Follow steps 1 and 2 to make the stock and strain the stock as directed in step 4. Omit the Mini Matzoh Balls. Pour the strained stock back into the soup pot. Add 2 cups peeled white pearl onions, 1 pound carrots cut into 1-inch pieces, and 3 ribs celery cut into 1-inch pieces. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Now, stir in 2 pounds cooked boneless, skinless chicken meat (breast and thighs) cut into 11⁄2-inch cubes, 2 cups cooked fine egg noodles, and 1 cup frozen peas. Simmer for 20 minutes more or until the soup is piping hot throughout. Makes 6 main course servings.